Nita Good Book

Gameboard of the Gods - Richelle Mead I liked the mythology and the world building in this book, but it's revealed soooooo sloooooowly. Generally an author presents the world through a character's thoughts. The characters explain how things work in their world, even if in real life people usually don't think in such descriptions. In this book, though, the characters think more like real people. They'd throw out these words and phrases that make complete sense to them, because they live and understand that world. But then they wouldn't explain further what they are talking or thinking about to us, the audience. So some things that were brought up at the beginning of the book would make absolutely no sense to me until suddenly it would click half way through when I would get more context or finally some more description. It was kind of maddening.

The characters were a bit frustrating, too, especially Justin. He was selfish and a bit obnoxious. I kept waiting for Mead to flesh out his character. I'd say I really didn't start liking the guy until the last 1/4 of the book, and even then my frustration with him did not completely go away. Mae I liked better. She could be stiff, but I liked her sense of honor and her loyalty.

So even with me confused half the time while reading this book and not being 100% on board with the characters, I liked this book. I thought the world building and setting fascinating. They are what kept me going. I want to understand what the heck is actually happening. I plan on continuing the series just so I can learn more.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas