Nita Good Book

Nicholas: Lord of Secrets - Grace Burrowes For the first book in the series, I enjoyed the first half, but thought the second half dragged on for too long. I had the opposite problem with this one. The story in the first half dragged for me, but got a bit more interesting towards the end once the hero and heroine were married. We know the two get married before this book even starts because you see some of their story in the previous book, as these two stories take place pretty much at the same time. But it takes the hero and heroine forever to actually get married. It's back and forth as Leah deals with her father and Nicholas tries to figure out how to keep her safe.

I also had a problem with how their major conflict once they are married was resolved. I couldn't believe Nicholas had never talked to his family about what he conceived to be a huge problem. He makes this very concrete decision about his life without making sure the reasons for doing so are actually true. It was just very unbelievable to me.

And one personal quibble I had that other readers probably won't have a problem with, Nicholas uses the endearment "lovey", and he uses it a lot. I don't mind "love", but add a y at the end and it makes me cringe.

I enjoyed the books I read by Burrowes outside of this series. I think I'll go back to reading about the Windham's and leave this series alone for now.

ARC provided through NetGalley

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas