Nita Good Book

The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance - Delilah S. Dawson Frannie Pleasance is a little fearful of the world right now. She generally sticks to her pet shop only venturing out when she needs to. On one of her excursions, she comes across a passed out, beat up, and naked fellow. If you've read Wicked as They Come (I highly recommend you do, if you haven't), then you're probably curious to find out what happened to Casper. You get a glimpse of what his life has been like since leaving the circus and coming to London, because he is the man Frannie finds passed out and invites to stay with her.

But this isn't Casper's story; it's Frannie's. One evening she wakes up to find her shop on fire. Her shop is saved by firefighter Thom Maccallan. Frannie is quite taken with this brawny Scottish firefighter. He shows up the next day to help her search for the animals she had let free to save from the fire. But he's not only there to help her with the animals. He too is quite smitten with Frannie. I found their romance quite lovely. Thom brings Frannie out of her shell. And Frannie is able to show Thom a part of herself she has kept hidden from everybody. There is also danger surrounding their romance as they come to find out the fire was no accident and other incidents soon follow.

So far Dawson hasn't let me down with her characters. For a novella, I really felt her characters were fleshed out and beautifully done. Her alternate world is fascinating, and though I missed the circus, I was happy to visit Sang's version of London.

I got enough of Casper in this book be make me eager for his. Bring on the music!

ARC provided through Edelweiss.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas