Nita Good Book

If You Give a Rake a Ruby - Shana Galen Warrick Fitzhugh is on a mission. He is looking for a certain man and he suspects Fallon, the Marchioness of Mystery, can lead him to this crime lord. Fallon is very reluctant to help Fitzhugh when he demands her help. The man he is looking for is from her past, a past she would rather forget. But to keep her past hidden, she agrees to help.

Fitzhugh is a hard man, set on his mission. He's a bit tough on Fallon in the beginning. He only knows her as her reputation. But, of course, there is much more to Fallon. She's smart and resourceful. We get to watch Fallon confront her awful past. Fitzhugh does soften a little as he gets to know Fallon. His focus starts to not be solely fix on his mission.

I'm really liking the Jewels of the Ton series. Galen gives us three women, who on the outside look like courtesans just out for some fun in Society, but are much more complex characters. The heroes too, at first, seem either too focused or too stuck up, but as you learn why they act the way they do, you find much more complicated characters. And watching their lives collide and their understandings change is very satisfying to read.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas