Nita Good Book

Between Two Thorns - Emma Newman This one's a very very interesting take on the fae and sorcerers. Newman introduces how this supernatural world works slowly, and so I found it a little confusing at times. But I really enjoyed the world she presents. The fae are mysterious and, if we are going to go by the one sorcerer we actually meet in this story, the sorcerers are a bit crazy. I was fascinated by the Arbiters and how their whole soul outside their bodies worked. Arbiters police for the sorcerers and make sure regular folk are not affected by the fae.

We get multiple viewpoints, including an Arbiter, a mundane who ends up at the wrong place at the wrong time, a stuck up Fae-touched just recently returned from his grand tour, and a Fae-touched young woman who has run off from her strict family to live the life she wants. All these characters intertwine at the machinations of the fae. Cathy was my favorite character to follow. She's adaptive but a little pouty when forced back to her family. She has a lot of potential in figuring out how to get out of the mess she is in.

I do wish the world had been introduced a bit more quickly, because once I understood who was who and what the Nether was and how the whole Fae-touched society worked, I started really enjoying the story.

The ending isn't a cliffhanger, per se, but the story is definitely not over at the conclusion of this book. Looks like there will be at least two more books after this one.

3 1/2 Stars.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas