Nita Good Book

Scent of Magic - Maria V. Snyder Ok, I'm not going to go into detail about the story because I don't want to spoil anything. I mean people die, some come back to life - you just don't know who is going to stay dead. I'm really interested to see where all this death, magic, and resurrection leads. Snyder has only given us hints so far.

Avry and Kerrick are separated through most of the book, and unfortunately Kerrick's parts weren't as interesting as Avry's. I can, though, see how Kerrick's venture up north with the tribe will be important in the third book. I just wish it hadn't taken up so much of his time in this book.

But Avry's parts were really good. I like Avry. She's smart, and though she very much fears getting into Tohon's clutches again, she's not afraid to help those fighting against him. She's persistent and doesn't give up. She does much in this book - trains soldiers to walk through the forest silently, tries again to reacquaint with her sister who pretty much only has hatred for her at the moment, works in the infirmary, outsmarts the enemy, mourns the dead, and communicates with Death and Peace Lilys. She's really not allowed to rest at all in this book.

Because of Kerrick's parts, I didn't quite enjoy this one as much as the first book, but I like where the story is headed, and will definitely be reading the third book. Just a warning, the book ends on a cliffhanger, a dang frustrating one.

3.5 Stars

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas