Nita Good Book

The Importance of Being Wicked - Miranda Neville The ludicrous combination of the stately court dance and the lively saltation of the common people was quite like the pairing of the Duke of Castleton and Mrs. Caro Townsend. Impossible.

Thomas, the Duke of Castleton, is looking to marry. His ideal mate is someone with lots of money. The men of his family have always married for money and he plans on following this tradition. What he doesn't plan on is falling for the poor cousin of the young woman he has set his sights on. Not only is she poor, but she associates with artists and other disreputable folk. She shocks him with her openness and behavior.

Caro finds her cousin's suitor quite dull and way too proper. But there is something about him that intrigues her. She can't stop herself from teasing him and trying to rile him up. Caro is also dealing with the debt her late husband left her in and trying to avoid the advances of a man her husband owed. Caro's devotion to her dead husband could be frustrating at times, but I liked her insistence on being herself. She refuses to change for anybody, including her family.

I do enjoy a mismatched pair, and this one is a lot of fun. It was also nice to read a romance with a beta hero. He really could be stuffy, but Thomas was also sweet and loyal. Caro was able to bring out Thomas' fun side. And Thomas brought some stability into Caro's life.

I'm looking forward to seeing where Neville takes this series.

ARC provided through Edelweiss.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas