Nita Good Book

What an Earl Wants - Kasey Michaels I thought this book was going to be about a woman trying to get custody of her half-brother. That she has a fight of wills against a rascal of man she ends up falling for. But this is not the story in this book. This is a story full of secret societies, humor, murder, and a bit of sadness. I really had fun reading this book.

Jessica Linden is getting back on her feet after the death of her awful husband and is very close to opening an inn with her business partner, Richard. She would like to get custody of her half-brother, who she hasn't seen in years. After her father's death, his guardianship went to Gideon Redgrave. The Redgrave's are quite the scandalous family. Jessica would like to get her brother away from that scandal. This is all really just a set up for these two to meet. Because really this is a story about a secret society and how two families involvement in it affected the next generation. Gideon and Jessica's fathers were both part of the Society. It looks like someone is killing off the original members of the Society and Gideon and Jessica are worried the new leader, whoever he is, will try to recruit her half-brother.

The dialogue, I thought, was very clever and fun. But this book definitely has a dark, sad side to it. Gideon and Jessica's families involvement in this secret society was really quite tragic. Jessica's little melt down toward the end of the story hit me in the gut. Poor Jessica - and I don't mean that sarcastically. Her confession to Gideon was heartbreaking.

My two favorite quotes:

"You sometimes don't realize the weight of the things you carry through life with you, until you put them down. I'm feeling considerably... lighter."

"Gideon, you could recite lines from this Fanny Hill Trixie spoke of while hanging from one of the bedposts with a rose clamped in your jaws, and I will still be asleep in the next two minutes."

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas