Nita Good Book

Forbidden - Jacquelyn Frank I didn't know Frank was revisiting her Nightwalker world until I spotted this book in NetGalley. Frank introduces a new Nightwalker race, the Bodywalkers. They're an interesting race - a mixture of Egyptian mythology and reincarnation by soul sharing. I had a little trouble wrapping my brain around how their whole soul sharing worked. But it's a unique concept. The Bodywalkers aren't body snatchers. They get permission to join with this person, to share their body. It's a merging of souls. Frank did a great job creating this new Nightwalker race out of the Ancient Egyptians obsession with preparing themselves for their afterlife.

The Bodywalkers are currently fighting a civil war - the religious (Templars) vs those loyal to the king and queen (Politics). Dorcia finds herself in the middle of this war when she is pushed off a bridge and, while near death, agrees to merge with a Bodywalker. She doesn't remember this when she wakes up and so is not prepared when her life is threatened a second time. This time she is saved by Ram, the Bodywalker who has come to help her with her merging. Both find themselves very attracted to the other as Ram helps Dorcia with her merging and introduces her to his culture. Ram fights this attraction because Dorcia is merging with his queen. His queen has always loved the king, who will be merging soon too.

I felt the story and world building did overshadow the romance a little. I can forgive that because it's the first book in this spin-off series and because I found the mythology different and entertaining. But I liked both Dorcia and Ram, and would have liked to have seen more of a build to their relationship.

It's a good start; I'm glad Frank returned to this world.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas