Nita Good Book

Beyond Shame - Kit Rocha Hmmm, so far the reviews are very positive for this book. I have to agree in liking the characters for the most part. Noelle is supposed to be very innocent, but she got a little immature for me at times. But I enjoyed the other characters very much, especially Jasper and Rachel. And the sex was pretty hot and plentiful. No real arguments from me on that.

I guess the biggest problem for me was the world building and the story beyond Noelle and Jasper's relationship. It just wasn't developed enough for me. The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where few survived solar storms a few decades before. This book centers on the city Eden. I don't know if this means it is the only city to be built up after the solar storms or just the only one mentioned? The people in the City have really awesome technology, but a very strict moral code. People who do not follow their moral codes, i.e. no drinking or sex, are forced outside the City and are living in sectors along the city limits and must rely on themselves to survive. Or they are forced to live on farms, where I guess they are treated like slave labor? How or why this type of cultural divide developed after the solar storms is never really explained. How could they create such awesome technology so quickly after the devastation of the storms? Why the forced contraceptives? - overpopulation is mentioned, but does that mean there are not enough resources? or not enough non-ruined land to live on? I had too many questions by the end, and was left unsatisfied with the story.

So the point of the story, I think, was Noelle coming into her own, sexually and as a person. And I did enjoy that. But in the end, I just got too distracted with all my questions.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas