Nita Good Book

Endgame - Ann Aguirre Two years ago I picked up a book called Grimspace. I loved the cover, and the premise sounded neat. I figured I'd give it a try. I was hooked from the first chapter. I loved Jax. She's flawed, but so brave and so dedicated. She's so human; I couldn't get enough of her. And it wasn't just Jax. Aguirre introduced such fascinating and complex characters, some human, some alien - Vel, March, Loras. They are what kept me picking up each book in this series. So it was very bittersweet starting Endgame. I was so happy to get back to the characters I love, but sad to know that once I finish this book, that's it, that was the end of the series.

For the finale, Jax is on La'heng to fulfill her promise to Loras to help him free his people and planet from the Nicuan Empire. Diplomacy doesn't work, so they start a resistance. It's exhausting for Jax, all the fighting and blood shed. This is not a fast fight; a few years pass in this book. The La'hengrin refuse to give up and are very brutal in their determination to get their world back. But it's needed. The Nicuan are just as brutal in their retaliation. They do not want to give up their slave world and slave labor.

Jax and March hash out their relationship a lot in this book. They both haven't been completely honest with each other on how they feel and those truths finally come out in this book. Jax and Vel also come to some conclusions on where they stand with each other, what they actually feel for each other. We get to see Sasha become a young man. And Zeeka is always a sweet, happy presence. I did miss Dina and Hit, who don't appear at all. But I was very satisfied with where all the characters ended up by the end of this book. Though I wish I could remain with them as they continue their adventures. But since I can't - goodbye Jax.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas