Nita Good Book

King of Thorns - Mark  Lawrence This second book in the Broken Empire series was just as fun, dark, twisted, and delectable as the first book. It starts out four years after the end of the first book. It is King Jorg's wedding day and the Prince of Arrow is on his doorstep with his very large army. The book goes back and forth between this day and to four years earlier when he and his Brothers set out to find a fire-mage who can help Gog control his abilities with fire. They end up going on a longer and more complex quest. We also get snippets of Katherine's journal. I thought they were a nice little break from the otherwise constant viewpoint of Jorg and was a great way of letting us get to know the characters of the Prince of Arrow and his brother, Egan. It made one of the twists at the end all the more obvious to happen (obvious after the fact for me; I didn't see it coming, but it made sense after it was revealed).

Lawrence also reveals a lot more about the world and time period in this book. In the first book, the author hinted at when and where this series takes place, though many readers probably picked up on those clues. But there's no hinting in this book. Other reviewers probably have spoiled this information, but I'm going to leave it up to the readers to find out. I do think Lawrence did a really good job with this setting. It's familiar, but unique at the same time - a nice melding of the new and old.

What did I learn about Jorg in this book - he really does not like to be told what to do. Jorg is fascinating - he's cruel, brilliant, and sarcastic. I can see why his men are devoted to him.

"Red Jorg." Kent said in a whisper as I passed.
"Red would be good, Kent. But I fear I am darker than that."

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas