Nita Good Book

Riveted -  Meljean Brook I've never been bored with anything Brook writes. I find the worlds she create marvelous and wonderfully unexpected, both with this series and her Guardians series. They're complex, odd, sexy, and fun. Riveted is no different. Brook gives us an Icelandic setting with mechanical trolls, glaciers and volcanoes, a secret village of only women, and a bad guy with one loony plan. It's unique and different from the first two books in the series, but obviously from the same world. I'm not sure how Brook does that?

As much as I love Brook's world building, it's the characters that keep me riveted (:D). We have Annika, who doesn't see herself as particularly brave, but left home and works on the airship, Phateon, as she searches for her sister. She meets David, a volcanist. David lost his legs, a hand, and one eye to an accident and has metal prosthetics in place. He's had to deal with prejudice and pity most of his life, but hasn't let that stop him from doing what he finds fascinating. David is also searching for something. A secret Annika holds so dear ends up being exactly what David is looking for.

Of the three books so far in this series, Annika and David's relationship I found the sweetest. I really found their relationship darling. Annika has never had a relationship or anything sexual with a man before and David has only had a couple awful sexual experiences. I loved Annika's forwardness in their love scenes. She may be inexperienced, but she's not shy. And David finds someone who doesn't look at him with pity or disgust, but sees just how wonderful he is. The relationship was just beautifully done.

This one has no zombies, but is just as fun as The Iron Duke and Heart of Steel. I promise.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas