Nita Good Book

Forever a Lady - Delilah Marvelle At first, Matthew Milton, a poor man who leads a gang of honorable thieves in Five Points, New York and Lady Bernadette, an aristocrat from London, seem like an unlikely couple. But they work really well together, I think. Though both currently have homes in New York (albeit in very different neighborhoods), they meet in London. They get their first glimpses of each other while riding in the park. Matthew falls for Bernadette fast and hard. Bernadette, though very attracted to Matthew, is not so sure. She has been enjoying her freedom after her marriage to a much older man.

Bernadette's reluctance and their very different social classes are not the only things standing in the way of their happiness. Matthew has many people out for revenge against him for his gang's campaigns to keep their neighborhood safer. Also Matthew can be a bit stuck in his ways. He does grow throughout this book, realizing his own weaknesses.

This book has really great characters. Matthew is rough, but sweet and adorable. Bernadette is strong, and really just looking for happiness. Though at first she thinks that happiness does not include marrying ever again, she soon learns finding love does not necessarily mean giving up your freedoms.

I did like the way the book addressed the different social classes. How Marvelle handled the class challenges seemed to me, if not plausible, then admirable. I applauded Matthew and Bernadette' achievement over this hiccup in their relationship.

Overall this romance is funny, sweet, and well done.

ARC provided through NetGalley

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas