Nita Good Book

The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker What I like about his book was the slowness of the catastrophe. You have a post-apocalyptic world that at first pretty much goes on as normal and then gradually unravels as the world slows and the days get longer and longer. We see this through the eyes of an 11 year girl. Julia is a quiet girl dealing with normal pre-teen things - friends, family, school, and boys - with the added stress of watching the whole world fall apart around her.

Having this one point of view made the story both frustrating and the story more realistic for me. Frustrating because I really wanted to know how the slowing down of the earth was affecting other parts of the world and we only get glimpses of this from what future Julia, who is narrating the story, tells us. But it did make things more real and frightening seeing it all from Julia's perspective. You get to know the people around her - family, friends, and neighbors - and therefore, it was more heartbreaking when awful or sad things happened to those people.

This post-apocalyptic story might not move quickly or have a ton of action, but the slow catastrophe is just as (and maybe more) frightening and sad.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas