Nita Good Book

The Most Improper Miss Sophie Valentine - Jayne Fresina Sophia Valentine did not expect anyone to answer the ad for a husband she put in the local gazette. She put the ad in there out of frustration after another argument with her sister-in-law. Scarred in an accident and 29 years old, she assumes she will never get married. So she is very surprised when Lazarus Kane shows up to answer the ad. Sophia is intrigued, but also wonders what kind of man answers such an ad. She doesn't know they have a past and that Lazarus has been searching for her for the last ten years.

Sophia can be kind of frustrating. I can understand not jumping into a stranger's arms and marrying the guy right away, but she almost doesn't give him a chance. If Lazarus wasn't very determined the chance for these two would have passed a few different times. But at the same time, I like how Lazarus slowly wears her weariness down. He courts her with kindness and flirting.

The story is very much centered on the characters, and though slow at points, I really enjoyed that fact. I especially liked being inside Lazarus' head.

I had a look to see if the author is turning this into a series, and it looks like she is. The next hero is James Hartley, who I thought was a very arrogant jerk in this book. I'm interested to see if the author can change my mind with the next book.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas