Nita Good Book

A Gentleman Undone  - Cecilia Grant Grant is able to bring such realness to her characters. We can feel the emotions, the darkness, that pushes these characters to do what they do. I think it is also the way Grant writes. She has such a unique voice. She has a way of putting you inside the characters' heads. It's pretty easy for me to immerse myself in a book, but Grant's writing pulled me in deeper.

This book is harsher than A Lady Awakened. Theo had a sense of humor that lightened that book a little. In A Gentleman Undone, Will and Lydia are both very serious characters. They both have dark pasts and at present are both working on goals to establish themselves.

I liked Will very much, but Lydia holds most of my praise. She's extremely smart. Grant likes to write very smart women, I think. She's very straightforward about what she wants when it comes to sex. She is a courtesan, and though not a conventional beauty, she's very good at what she does. I know some readers of romance have trouble with their hero or heroine having sex with anybody else after they meet each other. Lydia is another man's mistress and is with him for more than half the book. In this case it is realistic why Lydia would stay with her lover. Will and Lydia at first deny their attraction, and then once that comes out, neither feel they could realistically be together, even when that attraction runs much deeper.

I usually do not have strong feelings, negative or positive, when it comes to epilogues. The last bit of conversation between the hero and heroine tends to be a bit sappy. But this one had the most brilliant final dialogue between Will and Lydia. I loved it.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas