Nita Good Book

The Danger That Is Damion - Lisa Renee Jones 3 1/2 Stars

This book is a good reminder for me as to why I like to read series in order. Jones did a fine job filling me in on the story and characters, but I would love to have started this series from the beginning. New elements were added to the overarching plot in this book, so it would have been nice to have known the established story better.

But this book reminded me a lot of Christine Feehan's Ghostwalker series, though this series uses alien DNA to create the supersoldiers and I don't think the character's powers are quite as diverse as Feehan's. I think because it reminded me so much of the Ghostwalker series, I relied more on the characters for enjoyment of this book. And I did end up getting invested in the coming together of Lara and Damion. Lara held the most appeal for me. She truly believes she is doing something good against those people who hurt her family. But she is being manipulated and ends up running through a gamut of emotions as she deals with her unreliable memory. I think Jones did a great job portraying these emotions.

I was also left curious about the main couples in the previous two books and so ended up purchasing the first book in the series.

Plot was fine, but it was the characters that kept me reading.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas