Nita Good Book

Somebody to Love - Kristan Higgins The romances I read are usually either paranormal or historical. I like the fantastical element of either paranormal creatures and mythologies or reading about a time I will never be able to visit. So contemporaries have never really appealed to me. But I decided to get out of my romance comfort zone and try one. This one popped up on NetGalley, so I thought I would give it a try.

And I really actually enjoyed it. The most dramatic it got were family squabbles and miscommunication, but I did not miss not having much action at all. I think really liking the characters helped. I especially liked James. He was sweet and funny. I loved the way he teased Parker. And Parker was great too. I was a little worried because in the description it mentions she loses her trust fund after her dad goes to jail for insider training. Ah-oh, a spoiled rich girl - not a character I can sympathize with. But even though she does live off her father's money, she is not spoiled or lazy. She works as a children's author and gives the money she earns from that to a charity. She doesn't freak out when she finds out she no longer has that trust fund. She goes through her options and does the best she can to provide for herself and her young son.

Sex is very mild - as in, making out and then cut away to next morning, but I really didn't miss it. The story and characters were compelling enough to keep me satisfied.

Very positive experience for my first foray into contemporary romance.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas