Nita Good Book

Sacrificial Magic - Stacia Kane When I started the first book in the Downside Ghosts series, Unholy Ghosts, I really had no idea what I was getting into. If I remember correctly I added it to my Kindle because at the time the book was either on sale or a freebie. I knew the main character was a drug addict and that she did something with ghosts. What I discovered was a gritty, dark series with a lonely character who other than drugs, loved her profession. She did not have any close friends. She lived in Downside, the dangerous part of town, and owed allegiance and money to the neighborhood drug lord.

I loved it! Kane was able to create a character, who on the outside, may seem distant and unrelatable, but as you follow her around her world, you can't help but fall in love. She's strong in her own messed up sort of way. Chess makes mistakes and is all too human. While she encounters or debunks ghosts for the Church and tumbles through her fragile relationship with Terrible, she is also on a journey of self worth. It's a treat to follow her on this journey.

This series has consistently stayed awesome with each book. This particular book had an interesting debunking case at a Downside public school that of course mixes with the politics of the area drug lords. Chess is still afraid she will mess up her relationship with Terrible. And because of where the school is located, Lex keeps popping up a little too often. We also get to see a side of Chess' magic that has altering and terrifying powers.

This is a truly addictive series.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas