Nita Good Book

The Legacy of Eden - Nelle Davy Meredith has avoided going to and thinking about her childhood home as much as possible in her adult life. But with one letter that all changes. Her cousin, who had been running the family farm in Iowa, has passed away. And though the thought of going back physically makes her sick, she decides she needs to go through her parent's things before the farm is sold.

Meredith gives us the story of the farm and her family from when her grandparents met in 1946 through Meredith and her two older sisters' teen years. She does this through her own memories, and through the stories her grandmother told her while on her sick bed.

Lavinia, Meredith's grandmother and the matriarch of the family, was probably the most fascinating character of the bunch. She was very much family-centric in a not healthy way. She wanted the farm to be in the family for a very long time and couldn't understand why any of her family would want to leave. She also worked to make the farm perfect and her neighbors to view it in envy. She could be quite mean and vindictive and used others, including family members, to get her way.

I liked the way Davy presented the Hathaway family. Meredith shows us her happiness as a child, the tragedies through her teens, and her own mistakes she made with an awful discovery she made involving her sister, Ava. We get the rest of the family's story from Lavinia. She seems to need to confess all that she did to and for her family to Meredith. I was absorbed with this family's story. But I do think Meredith's present story was a little less successful. I guess I felt like she didn't make any type of progress personally or with her sisters. Though the parts in the present with Meredith and her sisters did help to show the deep rifts in the remaining family members. Maybe there are just some things you can't forgive or forget.

Overall a riveting story of the fall of a family.

ARC provided by NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas