Nita Good Book

Seduction - Brenda Joyce Joyce's hero and heroine are very much affected by the politics of the French Revolution. Dominic Paget is the son of an English man and a French woman. He has seen what the Revolution has done to the people of France, and has been spying for the English. Julianne Greystone lives in Cornwall with her mother and sister and is passionate about every man and woman's right to freedom and opportunity. She sides with the Jacobins in the French Revolution and has started a club with her good friend Tom to discuss politics and the war. It's fascinating to see two people with very much matching ideals for the human race, but who side with different political sides.

Politics are central to this story. It will be the major conflict for Dominic and Julianne throughout the story. Their romance can't go forward until they stop seeing each other as a Tory or a Jacobin. At different points in the story they lie to each other, requiring them to learn to trust the other.

I thought Joyce did a wonderful job combining the political conflicts with a lovely romance. I had a little trouble with Dominic at first. I could not tell what his actions towards Julianne were in the beginning and that made me a little anxious, but that changed the more I was in his head. And though Julianne was a bit naive, she was also smart and compassionate. I enjoyed seeing how they finally came to accept each other fully.

A fine start to a new series.

ARC provided by NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas