Nita Good Book

Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2) - Zoe Archer 2.5 Stars

Celene Jur is a Black Wraith pilot, and is considered a legend among the 8th Wing. Even with her awesome flying skills, she can't stop her ship from being disabled by a new mysterious device and herself captured by the enemy. She was rescued before she was sold into slavery by the main character in the previous book. Now she is out for revenge against the traitor who crippled her ship. She is sent on a mission to stop this man from selling that device to their enemy. Nils Calder, an engineer is sent with her to help. Celene doesn't want someone from "NerdWorks" to hinder her mission. Soon, though, Celene finds there is more to Nils than just his engineering smarts, and their feelings and attraction grow as they fight to complete the mission.

This is a novella, but I thought Archer did a good job spacing plot, action, and romance. Though the story was enjoyable enough, there was really nothing that got me very excited about it. Nothing really surprised me. I've read 4 books by Archer, all historical paranormals. One of the things I absolutely loved about those books were her characters. They had personality. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the characters in this book. They aren't terrible characters or necessarily one-dimensional. Maybe it was the dialog that colored my opinion of the characters; I found it extremely cheesy. I guess, too, I never found an emotional attachment to either character. But maybe I can blame the book's length on that.

I think I will stick with Archer's historicals.

ARC provided by NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas