Nita Good Book

The Price of Temptation - Lecia Cornwall 2.5 Stars

Lady Evelyn Renshaw is the wife of a traitor. She has no idea where he is or what he is doing. She is trying to live quietly and avoid any more scandal. One early morning, while riding her horse in the park, she is accosted by a French man who is looking for an item he knows her husband took. She is saved by Sinjon Rutherford, a soldier out on a mission to save his own reputation after an incident in Spain. After their run-in, Sinjon is asked to spy on Evelyn by taking a job as her new footman in exchange for help in finding the man who can prove his own innocence. Their attraction is immediate, and Evelyn fights her attraction to a man she believes is just a ex-soldier turned footman, and not a peer.

I wanted to like this one more than I did, because I liked our hero and heroine. They were both in such unfortunate circumstances; it was sweet they were able to find some relief and tenderness with each other. Evelyn especially is surrounded by such toxic people, but I never found her attitude or actions pitiful. Sinjon always did the honorable thing without being pompous. Unfortunately their time together is such a small part of the book. The rest of the time they are dealing with their own secrets (especially Sinjon) and the evil and annoying (holy shnikes, were her sisters annoying!) people around them. And honestly it was just all too coincidental for me. I usually can extend my beliefs quite far, but this story just had too many.

Also, who the heck sent Evelyn that letter during the ball? I swear this is never addressed again after the incident and seems like something we should know.

ARC provided by NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas