Nita Good Book

Touch of Power - Maria V. Snyder Avry is on the run because she is a healer. She can take a sickness or injury into herself and heal at a super fast rate. Her kind have been hunted down because they are blamed for the plague that devastatingly swept through the land. But she can't stop herself from continuing to heal children. This time she is not able to get out of town fast enough after the healing and she is imprisoned and sentenced to death the next day. But during the night she is rescued by a band of men who need her to heal someone very important of the plague. Avry is conflicted because of the nature of the disease and because of who the man is. The leader of her captors, Kerrick, does not want to give her a choice. Hiding and alone for three years, Avry now finds herself in the middle of politics and a brewing war among those who would use her to gain rule of the 15 Realms.

Snyder has a way of creating a world that is simple and non-convoluted, but still fascinating and lovely. This is the second book I have read by Snyder, and in both she has strong female leads. I like Avry. She has a lot of tough choices to make. She was able to fend for herself for three years and after her capture she continues to do what she feels is right, even when it seems all of her choices are taken from her.

I liked the magic system. We only really get to witness how it feels to use the magic through Avry, but I thought Snyder did a great job of creating and explaining it. Avry can heal, but that power is not without its limits. She cannot heal someone who is very close to death; her own body, even with its faster healing, would not have enough time to heal itself. She could heal someone close to death, but then it would be considered a self sacrifice.

Also, giant flowers that can kill you. Reminded me of a little of Triffids, though Snyder's flowers can not move from where they are rooted. And there is something more to these flowers beyond killing.

Very nice beginning to the Healer trilogy.

ARC provided by NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas