Nita Good Book

Lord of the Abyss (Harlequin Nocturne) - Nalini Singh Definitely my favorite of this series. Singh based this one off Beauty and the Beast, though it is our heroine who is the "beast" and our hero the good looking one.

Micah is the youngest of the four siblings, and only five when his parents, the king and queen of Elden, are killed and Elden taken over by the the Blood Sorcerer. Before his parents died, they magically sent their four children away to different lands. Micah was sent to the Black Castle, the gate to the Abyss, where evil souls are sent. There he is made the Lord of the Abyss, and with no memory of who he really is, he escorts souls to the Abyss.

Liliana is the daughter of the Blood Sorcerer. She has spent her whole life being mentally and physically abused by her evil father. She does have powers of her own, and she uses them to send herself to the Black Castle. She has seen that the only way her father can be stopped and the kingdom of Elden reclaimed by the rightful heirs, is if all four siblings fight together. She knows Micah has no idea who he really is, so takes it upon herself to remind him.

Micah is used to everyone fearing him, so when a defiant Liliana comes into his life he is intrigued. He is attracted to her spirit right away. Everyone her whole life has called Liliana ugly. She has a hooked nose, small eyes, a large mouth, small breasts, and a large behind. But Micah doesn't seem to realize that he shouldn't be attracted to her. I loved the fact that he never ever once questions his attraction towards her. He cares not one bit for rules of who is supposed to be considered beautiful. He finds Liliana beautiful.

I really really liked reading of Micah and Liliana's time together at the Black Castle, Micah's slow realization of who he really is, and Liliana getting to know others at the castle. What I was disappointed in was how Singh brought the series to an end. We only get to see a very short reunion of the siblings and the final confrontation with the Blood Sorcerer was anticlimactic. Only Micah is the one to finally fight him. All four siblings should have been involved in this.

This book had my favorite characters and plot of the four books. I just wish for a more grand finale.

ARC provided by NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas