Nita Good Book

Serpent's Kiss - Thea Harrison Carling, a very powerful Vampyre, has been fading. She has periods of blanking out, causing interruptions in her power. This is a sign with vampires of coming death. Carling has spent much time trying to find a cure, but unsuccessful, has accepted her fate. She has pushed all emotions and connections away.

In the previous book Rune, a Wyr grypon, made a bargain with Carling to save a friend's life. Now he travels to her to make good on that bargain. Their first meeting is intense and Carling finds she does not like the emotions he brings forth in her. She tries to push him away, but after he finds out about her fate, he won't budge. He decides to help her not die. Rune uses humor, kindness, and ruthlessness to bring out Carling's emotions, and to stop her from just giving up.

I really loved the build up, both of their feelings for each other and of finding a cure for Carling. The fadings and how Rune becomes involved with them was very unique. Unfortunately, I found the ending very jolting and sudden once they think they have found a way to save Carling. The climax was too vague and didn't satisfy the build up.

Overall, though, another winner by Harrison.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas