Nita Good Book

Avenger's Angel - Heather Killough-Walden I don't think it is a good sign when you like the "bad guy" more than the hero. I think the author wanted us to like Samael, the enemy of our hero and his 3 companion archangels, or at least not find him reprehensible, but still like the heroes more. Samael ended up being my favorite character. Though, this doesn't mean I wanted our heroine, Ellie, to end up with Samael. Ellie was annoying with her constant italicized inner dialogue.

Uriel, Michael, Gabriel, and Azrael were archangels. The "Old Man", as they call the being who created them, decided to award them with perfect female companions. But the other archangels got jealous, and the archesses were sent to earth, for reasons I do not completely understand - to stop the fighting maybe? Anyway, Uriel, Michael, Gabriel, and Azrael decided to fall to earth in search of their archesses. Samael, one of the jealous archangels, followed them to earth. Thousands of years later they are still looking for their archesses. Uriel, currently, is a movie star. At a book signing for the book based on the movie he finally meets his archess, Eleanor, who works at that bookstore.

Eleanor has had special powers her whole life, most importantly the ability to heal, but does not know she is an archess. In fact, I am a bit confused by this. It is never explained in this book what exactly happened to the archesses since coming to earth. Ellie is only in her twenties; she has parents and an actual childhood. Though it is never stated, I am going to assume they were reincarnated somehow. That is the only thing I can think of that makes sense to me. Once Ellie finally believes she is an archess, she never questions what she has been doing the last thousand years, which I found strange.

So they meet and Uriel is completely taken with her, but Ellie is more cautious, and a bit scared of him. Their courtship is interrupted by Samael. He gets himself entangled in Ellie's life. He still wants an archess of his own, and is willing to take another's. He makes a deal with Uriel for equal time in wooing Ellie. Though honestly there is not a whole lot of wooing by either Uriel or Samael, and I swear she spends more time with Samael, besides Uriel and Ellie's time in Las Vegas and then at a bed and breakfast. And when she is with either, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of getting to know each other going on. Ellie pretty much stays scared of Uriel until he gives his coat to some teenage fan of his in an elevator and Ellie suddenly decides Uriel is awesome.

There is a subplot of another enemy trying to get their hands on Ellie for her powers. The little reveal towards the end of who they are was creative, though strangely and not all together dealt with.

I found Samael the most layered and enjoyable of the characters. The rest fall flat with me. The archangels did not feel thousands of years to me or otherworldly. Azreal is the darkest of the bunch. For some reason he was turned into a vampire when he landed to earth. Not sure why; this will probably be explained in his book, but then again, maybe not. And as I mentioned, Ellie was annoying. Max, their thousands of year old "Guardian", was never explained.

I don't need immediate reveals. I actually like it when plots and characters are slowly revealed. Heck I even don't mind cliffhangers. I just felt like not enough information was given in this book. It made both the plot and characters confusing.

Overall, it was ok.

ARC provided by NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas