Nita Good Book

Unholy Ghosts  - Stacia Kane I liked this one a lot! I have a soft spot for messed up lead characters, and Chess is pretty messed up. She is a lonely drug addict who lives in a sort of post-apocalyptic world where she works for the Church as a Debunker. She debunks people's claims of ghosts, and if she can prove they lied about the haunting, she gets paid. If they really do have a ghost, she has to get rid of it, and the Church pays the haunted person for their troubles. Kane has created a fascinating world where the Church has taken over after thousands die from a ghost invasion. They are able to stop the ghosts and escort them to the City; a place where they can rest. The Church comes out with the Truth - there are no gods, just Truth.

So Chess relies on a drug lord named Bump to get her drugs. He corners her into checking out an abandoned airport for ghosts. He wants to use that airport to bring in drugs. And what she finds ends up being tangled up with the current case she is working on for the Church. Chess finds herself in a very dangerous situation. Along on the ride is Terrible, Bump's enforcer. He is making sure Chess gets the job done for his boss. Kane starts by giving us a brute of man, who is quiet and deadly, and someone Chess is a bit afraid of. And then he just grows and grows on you, and by the end Terrible is your man. Chess, you idiot, Terrible is awesome! Give the guy a chance.

Gritty, dark fun.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas