Nita Good Book

Knight's Curse - Karen Duvall I love the world Duvall created here. Her use of gargoyles and other creatures - angels, the fae, etc. was wonderful. Our main character is Chalice. She has been the prisoner of an evil group called the Vyantara, who covet magical objects. They force her to use her powers of super sensitive senses to steal magical objects for them. To keep her "loyal" and from running off on them, they have bonded her with a gargoyle. If she does not check in with her gargoyle every few days, she herself starts to turn into one.

So the ideas and world Duvall created are fantastic. It was the characters I had problems with - more specifically the emotions and dialogue. The dialogue was very generic to me. The characters did not have their own voice. Same with emotion; Chalice would tell me she was feeling a certain way, but I did not feel it. Gavin, the man Chalice reports to, is supposed to be very evil. But between the emotions he expresses and his dialogue, he did not feel evil to me. The characters did not have very unique personalities.

The book ends with a satisfying conclusion and a set up for the next book. I am interested to see where Duvall is taking this series. I hope she fleshes out her characters; I would love to enjoy the next book.

ARC provided by NetGalley

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas