Nita Good Book

Lord of the Vampires - Gena Showalter 3.5 stars - maybe 4??

Hmmm. I keep going back and forth on how to rate this book. As a whole, I liked this book. But the relationship kind of bugged me. Normally I am OK with things being slowly revealed to me throughout a book - actually I usually prefer it. But an important plot point revealed later in this story might have helped me better accept Nicolai and Jane's relationship if I had known it earlier. I keep thinking it is something that shouldn't bother me. Many paranormal romances have characters instantly in love (lust), and they did not bother me. This one did though.

So it was the story I really liked. Nicolai is able to magically summon Jane from our world to his, Delfina, to help him escape from his captivity. He has no memory of who he is and how he ended up the sex slave of a cruel witch princess. All he knows is he is a vampire with strong powers he mostly can't use and he has a strong compulsion to go to a neighboring kingdom and kill its king. I like Delfina with its magical creatures and play on time. Jane, because of her research on earth, does not freak out (too much) when she wakes up in a strange land, and is the perfect person to help Nicolai with his problems. She is the sensible one against Nicolai's aggression and "Mine" mentality. I like her.

Each book in this four book series centers on a different sibling and is written by a different author. I am very interested to see how similar and different they will be with the different writing styles of these authors. I have only before read books by this author, Gena Showalter, and the fourth book's author, Nalini Singh. How will the authors incorporate the other characters into their stories? How will Singh resolve the connecting arc? I can't wait to find out!

ARC provided by NetGalley

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas