Nita Good Book

Seduced by Her Highland Warrior - Michelle Willingham Alex and Laren have been married for five years, but the last three years they have grown apart. Alex is chief of his clan, and spends the majority of his time with his people and not with Laren. And Laren has been keeping a secret from Alex that takes her away from their home for hours at a time. After their home is destroyed and Laren is hurt during an attack by the English, they start re-assessing their relationship and what they mean to each other.

In the majority of romances I have read the two main characters either haven't met each other yet when the story begins or they know each other, but they haven't started a romantic relationship yet. So it was a little different for me to begin reading the story five years into their marriage, especially a loving relationship that has fallen apart. I felt like I had missed the beginning of the story. But with flashbacks we slowly learn what had put a wedge in their marriage. We see the mistakes they made with each other. I ended up really liking the set up.

Normally it is frustrating in a romance when the two protagonists don't communicate with each other and there are misunderstandings. Authors do this for added drama, and I usually can't imagine two people acting like that in real life. But this book was different. Because of the circumstances, I could imagine this lack of communication happening in a real life marriage. I enjoyed reading Alex and Laren's re-growing affections, even with the setbacks throughout the story because of miscommunication. They had to learn to trust each other and their affections once again.

My one real complaint was the last fourth of the book did drag a little for me. I guess I was more interested in the relationship than the conflict with the English. Though I did enjoy when Laren finally understands Alex and something about herself. It was a satisfying ending.

ARC provided by NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas