Nita Good Book

Queen of Shadows - Dianne Sylvan This first book in a new urban fantasy series was fabulous. It was dark and romantic, with complex characters and a unique plot. I am always excited when I come across a book that takes a common trope, like vampires, and makes it intriguing and fresh.

Miranda is an empath; she can feel other’s emotions. She first discovers this while performing with her guitar. At first it is wonderful for her, but it starts to overwhelm her, and by the time we meet Miranda at the beginning of this book, she is getting weaker and weaker, and cannot control her powers. Luck is on her side when she comes across David Solomon, a vampire, and leader of the vampires in the southern states, in the grocery store. He recognizes her powers and is able to teach her how to control them. David is having his own problems with a group of vampires who do not like his law of not killing humans. They are leaving dead humans around Austin with their symbol written in blood.

Again, this is a pretty dark story. Miranda goes through a very graphic and terrible situation at the beginning of the book. But the strong characters and wonderful world building made this one heck of a story.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas