Nita Good Book

The Black Prism - Brent Weeks I liked this one. Some of the dialogue was awkward or too silly, and the magic system was a little hard for me to imagine at times. But I liked the world building and the characters. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Kip. He is a clumsy, always saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, overweight teenager, but I found him endearing and hope his character gets a chance to grow in this series. I also enjoyed Gavin's scheming and plotting character, and I wonder how he will handle the circumstances the author left him at the end of this book.

The plot surprised me in a few places, and I love being surprised, so another positive for me. As I said the magic system was a little hard to imagine at times, but I still thought it very creative and refreshing. So I am giving it a solid 4 stars and look forward to the next book in this series.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas