Nita Good Book

The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi This book takes place in the future where bioterrorism and environmental disasters have depleted much of the plants, animals, and technology. Most countries are in ruin and people are barely making ends meet. Thailand is doing a little better than other countries. They tightly control their borders and inspect every piece of food that grows in and enters the country. The viewpoint of the book is from five different people including Anderson Lake, a man from the United States who works from one of the big corporations responsible for the bioterrorism, and who is looking for new foodstuffs being developed in Thailand and Emiko, a Japanese made Windup Girl, who is genetically superior, but is hated and seen as unnatural. None of the characters are necessarily good or even sympathetic, but they are fascinating. The story starts out slow and doesn’t really pick up until after all the characters have been introduced. It does take a few chapters to get use to the language. The author does not explain things outright. But once I got past the language barrier and got to know the characters and their stories, I was hooked.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas