Nita Good Book

Aidan - Abby Niles I liked the characters, even when I thought the heroine, Jaylin, was being too stubborn in her views of mating and the afterlife. I thought it kind of strange that a psychologist would see the one extreme side to mating. She refused to fully look at the real life positive examples of mating right in front of her. But at the same time, even in her ignorance, she does have the happiness of whoever she would mate with in mind. She hates the idea of someone suffering after her death. As a half shifter she has the option of mating with a shifter and after her death, going to their version of heaven, Anavrin or marrying a human and going to heaven. She's set on marrying a human. A human, unlike a shifter as she sees it, could find happiness again if she were to die before him.

But then she meets Aidan O’Connell, a shifter who contacts her to help his friend deal his mating problems. As soon as Aidan sees Jayin, he is set on making her his mate. Jaylin fights his pursuit tooth and nail.

As someone else mentioned in her review, the change of words - Fewshon, Wydowed, etc. - reminded me too much of Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. And the drama towards the end was perpetrated by an object, the Splycer, that I didn't really understand. But I did like the characters enough to be invested in their romance. I had to see how Aidan would get through to Jaylin in the first 3/4 of the book and how Jaylin would get through to Aidan the last 1/4 of the book.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas