Nita Good Book

Hearts of Shadow - Kira Brady Loved the first book in this series and was very excited to read the second. I was not disappointed. It was just as wonderfully character driven as the first book. Lief is a dragon shifter who now finds himself the leader of his people, the Drekar. He is more happy with his inventions and is odd compared to other dragon shifters. His brother's blood slaves were also passed on to Lief, including Grace. Grace has been working hard towards her freedom. She took whatever job Lief's brother, Sven, gave her, no matter how dangerous.

Grace assumes Lief is just like his brother - arrogant, violent, and demanding. It takes her awhile to see past his extremely good looks to see he is not like his brother, mostly. He's still a dragon shifter, so can get very possessive and violent when angered. He frustrates Grace when he refuses to give her dangerous jobs to keep her safe. Those are the jobs that pay well. He'd get rid of her blood slave status if he could just figure out how. Both have to look past pre-conceived ideas of the other in order for their attraction to turn into a relationship. I enjoyed Grace's toughness and determination. As for Lief, how could I not like a charming, gorgeous, nerd that can shift into a dragon? I liked the balance Lief had between his dragon side and nerdy inventor side. But he does have to learn how to be a leader when he would rather just be working in his laboratory.

We also see the politics of this post-apocalyptic Seattle as the Drekar, the Kivati (other shapeshifters), and the humans try to work together to make a better Seattle. The negotiations are a bit maddening as the shifter races hate each other and the humans don't trust any of the shifters. Add to that mix a vengeful, violent demigod and you have a very complicated situation for everybody.

This is really gritty, well written story. I think both romance and urban fantasy fans would enjoy this series.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas