Nita Good Book

The Vampire Voss - Colleen Gleason Voss is a very selfish hero. He does some very selfish things, and is selfish for most of the book. But he uses that selfishness as a way to survive. He hasn't been emotionally close with anybody since he was made a vampire. He is also observant and sweetly devilish. I liked him very much.

Angelica, our heroine, has the power to see how a person will die by holding an object owned by that person. Voss sets out to meet Angelica when he learns of her power so he can use it for his own means. But others of more dubious (ok evil) natures would use her power to advance their own. Voss ends up having to keep her safe while fighting his need to do very naughty things to her.

Gleason has an interesting and unique take on vampires. They are not all necessarily evil, but they did all make a deal with Lucifer, so they constantly have this push to do not very moral things. Most embrace it, and some do not. I also really liked the concept of Asthenia - a different kryptonite for each vampire. The Asthenia, whatever it is, makes the vampire weak and easier to kill.

A fine start to the series.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas