Nita Good Book

Heart of Steel -  Meljean Brook I always end up falling in love with Brook's characters in both this series and her Guardian series. I find both her heroes and heroines complex, unique, sexy, and a little bit kooky. Our hero, Archimedes Fox, is always looking for an adventure, be it fighting zombies or treasure hunting. His newest adventure is falling in love, maybe with the thrill of getting his heart broken. He has set his sights on Yasmeen, captain of the air ship, Lady Corsair.

In the previous book she had left him for dead in a zombie infested Venice. Now he pursues her not only for love, but to get back a sketch by da Vinci she took from him in Venice. He needs the money he would make by selling it. Upon their reunion, they find themselves embroiled with the Horde rebellion when the sketch is stolen from Yasmeen.

The romance slowly built through the book. At the beginning Archimedes told Yasmeen he was going to fall in love with her. But Yasmeen was slow to accept her feelings for Archimedes. She needed a partner who could let her be in charge, to watch her back, and let her be her. It took her a while to trust him with that. The romance may have been slow, but it was fun and hot.

I adored this book just as much as The Iron Duke. Same awesome world building and characters, but with a different feel. Both Archimedes and Yasmeen have dramatic pasts, but are not as serious and dark as Rhys and Mina. It gave the book a lighter feel. Brook's alternative history is just plain fun and inventive. Definitely recommended.

A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas